For many, Memorial Day conjures images of family cookouts, rising gas prices, blowout sales on everything from cars to computers, and the unofficial start to the summer season.
It’s a lot more than that, of course.
Originally known as Decoration Day and designed to commemorate both the Union and Confederate soldiers killed during the Civil War, over the years, the observance has grown to honor all American soldiers killed while serving—some 1.2 million individuals dating back to the Revolutionary War—and was eventually renamed “Memorial Day.” It became a Federal holiday in 1971.
How Do You Celebrate Memorial Day?
· Many communities hold parades featuring marching bands, service organizations, and various military and veteran groups.
· Families gather for cookouts, reunions, and get-togethers.
· For some, the day represents the first trip to the beach or a park to enjoy the sun.
· For others, they make special visits to the graves of their loved ones who died while serving.
· Many institutions and individuals fly their US flags at half-mast until noon, and then raise them to full mast until sunset.
· Across the country, volunteer organizations place American flags on the graves of fallen service members.
How Mobile Edge Shows Its Support
While Mobile Edge joins millions of Americans every Memorial Day to honor those soldiers who made the ultimate sacrifice, we wish to show ongoing support for those who serve in the military and their families. One way we’re doing this is through Mobile Edge Cares, an initiative that supports various worthy charitable causes each month, with a particular focus on missing children, breast cancer, children’s hospitals, and our military veterans and their families.
This July, we are beginning to work with Operation Homefront, a top-rated charitable organization with 92% of its expenditures going to support military families. Operation Homefront works with the American donor community to provide life-changing short-term and long-term programs to help military families grow stronger, more stable, and more secure.
For the entire month of July, Mobile Edge Cares will be donating 10% of MobileEdge.com product sales in support of Operation Homefront, providing customers a unique opportunity through their purchases to show support.
Since its founding in 2002, Mobile Edge has contributed more than $500,000 to charities.
Won’t you join them and us?