You’d think airports would be one of the safest places on Earth. In some regards, they are—but apparently not when it comes to the safety of your laptop or tablet.
A recent article from Security Baron, a consumer-focused website covering home security, property security, and cybersecurity that reported some staggering statistics: More than 12,000 laptops are lost or stolen in US airports every week. Fast forward to 2018, where more than 80-percent of travelers (business, pleasure, or otherwise) are moving through airports with laptops, tablets, and smartphones (usually with all three at the same time), and it’s most likely that those 2008 figures are even higher today.
Where Theft Happens
The theft of most devices tends to occur . . .
- At Transportation Security Administration (TSA) security checkpoints, when you need to remove your laptop from your carry-on bag.
- When laptops and other devices are inadvertently left unattended at gates or in airport restaurants or restrooms.
- When TSA agents themselves take the devices (especially if you leave a laptop or tablet in your checked bag.)
- Aboard airplanes from the overhead compartments, when items overhead are accessed by other travelers.
Keep It With You
One of the top tips you’ll get from any frequent flyer is never, ever check your electronics. You should always keep your laptop, tablet, or smartphone with you, preferably in a carry-on bag that’s designed specifically to transport electronics and accessories and that can fit under the seat in front of you (vs. storing it in the overhead bin). Not only will this guard against theft, but also against damage.
I think we can all agree that no airport baggage handler has ever been accused of being too soft on luggage, and no matter how well you pack your bags bound for the belly of the aircraft, bad things (theft or damage) are bound to happen to checked electronics. According to Huffington Post, in a 2013 report of the most lost or damaged items at airports, laptops ranked first!
Luckily for travelers carrying mobile electronics (which is most of us), this is where Mobile Edge enters the conversation. We offer a number of mobility solutions that can store all of your devices in one bag or case—solutions that are both compact enough to fit beneath an airplane seat and that are checkpoint-friendly, which means you won’t have to remove the laptop at TSA security, one of the places laptops most often go missing.
The ScanFast™ Collection
Mobile Edge is the market leader in checkpoint-friendly Laptop Cases. Exceeding TSA guidelines for checkpoint friendly carry-on luggage, Mobile Edge’s ScanFast™ Collection bags are designed so that you can leave your laptop in the bag when passing through airport security checkpoints.
- First, stow your laptop in the designated ScanFast™ compartment in your bag or case.
- Stow your other gear in other compartments.
- When you arrive at the TSA checkpoint, unzip your case, place it flat on the belt, and run it through the security screening machine (there’s no need to remove the laptop from the bag)
- Once your bag/case has passed through the screening device, retrieve it, zip it up, and be on your way!
Bring It On
No matter what your need or your style preference, Mobile Edge has the mobility solution for you and your gear. Visit our www.mobiledge.com to browse our ScanFast™ and various other collections.